Friday, November 2, 2018

Fly Fishing in Iceland

Traveled to Iceland with my wife to fly fish the north eastern most region. My friend Matt at Iceland Fishing Guide helped me figure out where to fish and species to target. Thinking of Iceland, the first fish that comes to mind is the Arctic Char, a relative to our native brook trout here in Pennsylvania. Second, I think of brown and sea run brown trout. So, I talked to Matt and he supplied the proper fishing permits. Also Iceland offers awesome side trips to thermal pools (hot springs). Super cool to check out! We rented a Happy Camper Van - home for the week.

Flew into Reykjavik  direct flight from Pittsburgh, about 6 hours and under 600$. We drove around the ring road up to the small village of Porshofn, in the Langanese. The small and intimate river called the Losna. We arrived early in the morning to find a thick fog bank rolling off the ocean over the Losna. Started in the mouth of the river where it meets the Greenland Sea. Caught a few beautiful sea trout that were bright silver. Seriously, hardest fighting fish. The river was very flat down here. I got my fish tightline nymphing.

Moved up elevation to more familiar water type, pocket water! Char everywhere, caught to many to count! They were willing to eat streamers, and tight lining was almost to easy! Used my cortland MK2 1006 3wt. This is my go to rod when big fish are probable!

Planning on hosting a trip to Iceland with a couple anglers next year. Message me if this interests you!

Monster Iceland Char Fly Fishing

Iceland Hot Springs DIY

Icelandic Char

Travel Iceland DIY Camping

Char Trout Iceland

Iceland Brown Trout Fly Fishing

Arctic Char Iceland